DIY Newborn Platform Project Pt 1

I have studio envy. Well, at least when it comes to my newborn sessions. I don’t have the ability at the moment to stock up on those wonderful backdrops. I just can’t justify spending well over $100 on a set up like that. Right now my stance is: if I can make something cheaper and better to suite me then that’s what I need to do. Plus it needs to be mobile.

With that said I stumbled across a photo on Oh Love Photography’s Facebook page. See the photo here. I was inspired.

We made a trip to Lowes to check out lumber. I popped a squat right in the middle of the aisle and laid everything out. I wanted to go with the cheaper shorter boards but my dear bf wouldn’t let me settle for the smaller ones.

Here’s our supply list:

  • (12) 3/8″ x 6 x 36″ Select Pine boards – 6 across makes two platforms
  • (6) 1/2″ x 2 x 36″ Select Pine support boards – 3 for each platform
  • Minwax Polyshade Bombay Mahogany Stain
  • Bristle brush for both paint and stain (some say paint only so read the label)
  • Foam brush
  • Very fine sandpaper 150 & 220 grit
  • Old t-shirt
  • Various objects for distressing
  • Rit dye in black
  • 1″ finishing nails

This will be a multi-post project so items may be added or discarded throughout the process.

I started by lightly sanding the boards. I hate sanding so believe me when I say I didn’t go crazy.

Then we took the wood outside and distressed them. You can use any objects that will make an indention or mark. Here’s what we used.You can actually see directly to the left of the nail leaning on the wire brush there’s the indention he made by hammering the side of the nail into the board. I’m so glad he thought to distress it because it looks amazing!!!

Next use the foam brush and paint the Rit dye over the entire board then wipe with the old shirt. You’ll find the Rit dye in the detergent aisle. I guess I should tell you that my ultimate goal was to have a dark rich floor look for my setup. The dye soaks into the indentions from all the hammering and whatnot and gives it a more aged look.

The board on the left has already had one coat of stain. The board on the right has been treated with the dye then lightly sanded with the 150 grit.

The far left board wasn’t sanded as much after the dye so it was darker after the first coat of stain. This is how I liked it. Depending on your preference either sand a lot or not so much.

Left to right – store bought wood, after 1 coat stain, after Rit dye.

Here’s another example of the difference sanding makes.

So far we’ve applied one coat of stain to about 8 of the boards. The other 4 will have to wait until this weekend. Here’s a tip while staining…wear latex gloves and ladies put your hair in a ponytail!! I just had to cut a little piece of my hair because somehow I got a clump of stain in it. Don’t ask!!!

Okay that’s all I have for now. Stay tuned for the next update!!

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “DIY Newborn Platform Project Pt 1

  1. The instructions at Lovely Crafty Home talk about applying stain to your papered floor (once the glue is dry before you apply your polyurethane) with a light hand. I decided to try adding RIT dye to my glue mixture so I made a sample board. You can see more about that here .

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s